BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 5:10 PM ET
Richard Skipper as Carol Channing in Concert
Backed by a lively three-piece band, celebrated cabaret star Richard Skipper reverently channels the Hello, Dolly! legend, beautifully crooning Channing classics — though the show could do with less of her 1967 novelty song “Widow’s Weeds” — and effortlessly ad-libbing with the audience as an expert on Channing’s career. Far from campy drag-show caricature, Skipper’s impersonation makes it easy to forget that he isn’t really her.
St. Luke's Theatre, open-ended.
Other Desert Cities
Lincoln Center’s slick, sophisticated dramedy by out Brothers & Sisters creator Jon Robin Baitz stars Elizabeth Marvel as a novelist readying to publish a memoir that details a shameful family secret. Out über-director Joe Mantello smoothes over familiar familial tropes like political dissonance with the strongest ensemble in town, led by Stockard Channing as the chilly matriarch and Linda Lavin as her quick-witted alcoholic sister.
Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater, through February 27.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 2 hours 13 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM