Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for January 2011
BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 6:10 PM ET
Four stooges who look like peons from Mad Men — Mike Dobson, Danny Gardner, Joel Jeske, and Brent McBeth — make up quirky theater troupe Parallel Exit, who charmingly pay tribute to Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton in this slaphappy series of pantomimed sketches and darkly comic bits set in a random filing office. Some audience interaction halts this genial farce’s momentum, but a good game of musical chairs never hurt anyone.
59E59 Theaters, through February 6.
Blood from a Stone
Fitfully powerful yet ultimately unfocused and overlong, Tommy Nohilly’s promising debut stars Ethan Hawke as a pill-popping ex-Marine sucked back into a blue-collar Connecticut household that makes Roseanne look like Dynasty. Guided by New Group’s out artistic director Scott Elliott, the superlative cast includes But I’m a Cheerleader’s Natasha Lyonne and Rent’s Daphne Rubin-Vega, but the play favors realism over reward.
Acorn Theatre, through February 19.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM