BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 5:10 PM ET
What if Bernadette Peters covered “Worst Pies in London” as a torch song? With his twisted sense of humor and a cheap red wig, Cole Escola answered the query in his confident solo debut while his Jeffery & Cole Casserole costar is in Hollywood. Directed by Ben Rimalower, the gay Midas of Manhattan cabaret, Escola easily proved himself a wagon-unhitched star by regaling the crowd with drunken anecdotes and stripping to his undies.
Joe’s Pub, closed January 29.
The Walk Across America for Mother Earth
Taylor Mac dropped out of college at 18 to join a protest march from New York to a Nevada nuclear test site, and the spirited gender-fuck performance artist revisited this pilgrimage with a motley comic mediation on activist folly that included clowning caricatures of radical faeries, militant lesbians, and more. Unfortunately, Machine Dazzle’s ’90s club-kid costumes outshone the story, which soon meandered out of steam.
La MaMa’s Ellen Stewart Theatre, closed January 30.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM