Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for January 2011
BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 5:10 PM ET
What if Bernadette Peters covered “Worst Pies in London” as a torch song? With his twisted sense of humor and a cheap red wig, Cole Escola answered the query in his confident solo debut while his Jeffery & Cole Casserole costar is in Hollywood. Directed by Ben Rimalower, the gay Midas of Manhattan cabaret, Escola easily proved himself a wagon-unhitched star by regaling the crowd with drunken anecdotes and stripping to his undies.
Joe’s Pub, closed January 29.
The Walk Across America for Mother Earth
Taylor Mac dropped out of college at 18 to join a protest march from New York to a Nevada nuclear test site, and the spirited gender-fuck performance artist revisited this pilgrimage with a motley comic mediation on activist folly that included clowning caricatures of radical faeries, militant lesbians, and more. Unfortunately, Machine Dazzle’s ’90s club-kid costumes outshone the story, which soon meandered out of steam.
La MaMa’s Ellen Stewart Theatre, closed January 30.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM