BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 6:10 PM ET
Pants on Fire’s Metamorphoses
Winner of the Carol Tambor Best of Edinburgh Award, this ephemeral London import — adapted and directed by Peter Bramley with lovely original music by Lucy Egger — relocated Ovid’s epic tales of transformation to WWII Britain. Told with shabby chic stagecraft by a comely cast, the magically reimagined myths included that of Narcissus, here a matinee idol admired by gals and fellas, and stalked swimmer Hermaphroditus.
The Flea Theater, closed January 30.
A Small Fire
In this haunting literal metaphor — the third collaboration between out playwright Adam Bock and out director Trip Cullman — Michelle Pawk stunned as Emily, an earthy broad who loses four of her five senses before her daughter’s wedding. Victor Williams made an unexpected impact as Billy, a gay African-American construction manager in Emily’s construction firm, who races pigeons and laments the AIDS-related death of his partner.
Playwrights Horizons, closed January 30.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM