BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 5:10 PM ET
Pants on Fire’s Metamorphoses
Winner of the Carol Tambor Best of Edinburgh Award, this ephemeral London import — adapted and directed by Peter Bramley with lovely original music by Lucy Egger — relocated Ovid’s epic tales of transformation to WWII Britain. Told with shabby chic stagecraft by a comely cast, the magically reimagined myths included that of Narcissus, here a matinee idol admired by gals and fellas, and stalked swimmer Hermaphroditus.
The Flea Theater, closed January 30.
A Small Fire
In this haunting literal metaphor — the third collaboration between out playwright Adam Bock and out director Trip Cullman — Michelle Pawk stunned as Emily, an earthy broad who loses four of her five senses before her daughter’s wedding. Victor Williams made an unexpected impact as Billy, a gay African-American construction manager in Emily’s construction firm, who races pigeons and laments the AIDS-related death of his partner.
Playwrights Horizons, closed January 30.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 35 min 30 sec ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 39 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 2 hours 13 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 2 hours 47 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor Is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 11:09 AM
- Comedy 10 Snarky Quotes That Make Us Miss Michael Kors on Runway 11:00 AM