BY Brandon Voss
February 01 2011 6:10 PM ET
Jomama Jones: Radiate
If I hadn’t known she was actually the drag creation of performance artist Daniel Alexander Jones — credited in the program as “Jomama’s cousin” — I might’ve believed that Jomama Jones truly was an ’80s soul diva launching a comeback after years of self-imposed European exile. Though better suited to an intimate cabaret, Jomama’s jazzy grooves and spiritual-sassy banter were as tasty as her backup singers, the Sweet Peaches.
Soho Rep, closed January 15.
Out director Travis Chamberlain fearlessly staged the New York premiere of Tennessee Williams’s explosive 1970 one-act in a hotel room, transforming the intimate 14-seat space into a N’Awlins honeymoon hovel. Adam Couperthwaite and Erin Markey played with fire as a shell-shocked soldier and his combatively lascivious wife — a comment on heterosexual deviance as Williams came out publicly — and the audience felt the heat.
Hudson Hotel, closed January 30.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 2 hours 33 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM