Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2011
BY Brandon Voss
March 01 2011 2:30 PM ET
Audaciously directed by Elizabeth LeCompte, the Wooster Group’s exhilarating revival uses experimental artistry to uncover the cigarette-stained soul of this 1977 Tennessee Williams flop. As the gay writer in a seedy 1930s New Orleans boardinghouse, a terrific jockstrap-clad Ari Fliakos interacts with a violent young stud and a tubercular gay letch, neighbors both played by Scott Shepherd, with a strap-on highlighting the ugliness of lust.
Jerome Robbins Theater at Baryshnikov Arts Center, through March 13.
A Perfect Future
Starring Donna Bullock and Jeffrey’s Michael T. Weiss as unstable couple Natalie and John, David Hay’s engaging, darkly comic drama puts a compelling racial-political twist on Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? replacing Nick and Honey with a gay fix-up: Daniel Oreskes as a friend from their days as college radicals and Scott Drummond as a young guy from John’s firm. As they open expensive bottles of wine, hideous true colors shine.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through March 6.
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 51 min 56 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 1 hour 32 min ago
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 1 hour 42 min ago
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM