BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Adapted from the 1994 film about a trans woman and two drag queens busing across the Australian outback, this infectious jukebox musical will wipe the puss off any face. The relationship between Will Swenson’s Tick/Mitzi and his son has beefed up on the road to Broadway, but it never detracts from the shameless flamboyance of Tony Sheldon’s Bernadette, Nick Adams as Adam/Felicia, and a birdcage of hot boys in terrific costumes.
Palace Theatre, open-ended.
The Book of Mormon
As smartly crafted as it is crass, this show from South Park’s creators about mismatched Mormon missionaries in Uganda almost lives up to the buzz that heralds it as a musical messiah. Making a gold plate — Mormon joke! — out of a modest meal, Broadway Impact cofounder Rory O’Malley is glorious as Elder McKinley, a closeted missionary who leads a pink-sequined chorus in a showstopper about urge-squelching, “Turn It Off.”
Eugene O’Neill Theatre, open-ended.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 42 min 22 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 38 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 12 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 12 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 12 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM