BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
Led by Michael Levinton, the Little Lord theater company, a self-described “rough and ready collective of shiksas, queers, and misinformed Jews,” joyously tackle the biblical Book of Esther with cheesy prom dresses, dollar-store props, and an interactive children’s theater style that schools with whiskey shots. I didn’t care about the Purim plot, so it’s a testament to the gender-bending troupe’s shabby-chic skills that I was tickled throughout.
Under St. Marks, closed April 2.
A Lonely Man’s Habit
Performed in rep as part of the See-Saw Solo Festival, Jeremy Lawrence’s one-man tribute to Tennessee Williams scrapes together journal entries, quips, and play excerpts to create a portrait of the aging playwright as he sneaks from a sleeping trick to scribble, read, and toy with his thoughts on, among other things, his lost loves. Lawrence is a good storyteller and a very impressive interpreter, but only hardcore Williams fans need attend.
The Cell, through April 16.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 4 min 43 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM