Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2011
BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 3:25 PM ET
The Soldier Dreams
Enjoying a solid but ephemeral mounting by Theatre East, out Canadian playwright Daniel Macivor’s monologue-heavy 1997 play revolves around David, a gay man who lies dying in a coma. While his partner and family discuss homophobic jokes and their differing takes on David — did he quit smoking? — a “dream David” dances and relives an encounter with a handsome German student in the play’s most captivating scenes.
Lion Theatre, through April 9.
Dream of the Burning Boy
After the terrific Tigers Be Still, Roundabout Underground continues to impress its little finger on the pulse of contemporary youth culture with David West Read’s affecting new play about grief. Reed Birney stars as Larry, a high school English teacher haunted by dreams of Dane, the student who died of an aneurysm after their meeting. Did, as Dane’s sister suggests, Larry dote on Dane because he was in love with the teen? No, but close.
Black Box Theatre, through May 15.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM