BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
The Soldier Dreams
Enjoying a solid but ephemeral mounting by Theatre East, out Canadian playwright Daniel Macivor’s monologue-heavy 1997 play revolves around David, a gay man who lies dying in a coma. While his partner and family discuss homophobic jokes and their differing takes on David — did he quit smoking? — a “dream David” dances and relives an encounter with a handsome German student in the play’s most captivating scenes.
Lion Theatre, through April 9.
Dream of the Burning Boy
After the terrific Tigers Be Still, Roundabout Underground continues to impress its little finger on the pulse of contemporary youth culture with David West Read’s affecting new play about grief. Reed Birney stars as Larry, a high school English teacher haunted by dreams of Dane, the student who died of an aneurysm after their meeting. Did, as Dane’s sister suggests, Larry dote on Dane because he was in love with the teen? No, but close.
Black Box Theatre, through May 15.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 32 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 58 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM