BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
The Soldier Dreams
Enjoying a solid but ephemeral mounting by Theatre East, out Canadian playwright Daniel Macivor’s monologue-heavy 1997 play revolves around David, a gay man who lies dying in a coma. While his partner and family discuss homophobic jokes and their differing takes on David — did he quit smoking? — a “dream David” dances and relives an encounter with a handsome German student in the play’s most captivating scenes.
Lion Theatre, through April 9.
Dream of the Burning Boy
After the terrific Tigers Be Still, Roundabout Underground continues to impress its little finger on the pulse of contemporary youth culture with David West Read’s affecting new play about grief. Reed Birney stars as Larry, a high school English teacher haunted by dreams of Dane, the student who died of an aneurysm after their meeting. Did, as Dane’s sister suggests, Larry dote on Dane because he was in love with the teen? No, but close.
Black Box Theatre, through May 15.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM