Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2011
BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 3:25 PM ET
Marie and Bruce
The New Group’s stylish revival of Wallace Shawn’s beautifully bitter 1979 play invites the audience to eavesdrop with delicious discomfort on the day that shrewish Marie — a reliably tragicomic Marisa Tomei — tries to divorce Bruce, whom she sees as irritating and useless. A dinner party includes a guest we learn is gay when Bruce shares his theory that “homosexuals have a special ability to defuse the anxieties of people in distress.”
The Acorn Theatre, through May 7.
I wasn’t a fan of John Leguizamo’s mambo-mouthed solo shows about the Colombian-born, Queens-bred performer’s crazy family and Latino stereotypes, but his new act refreshingly focuses on the gifted raconteur’s showbiz career, parting the Moulin Rouge curtain to share surprisingly candid anecdotes and spot-on impersonations of Hollywood heavyweights like Sean Penn, Baz Luhrmann, and his drag castmates from To Wong Foo.
Lyceum Theatre, through July 10.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 2 hours 11 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 2 hours 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 2 hours 42 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM