Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2011
BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
The Other Place
After reviewing A Small Fire and Wings, I was done with plays in which a strong female deteriorates — until I saw this taut and terrifying new drama by Sharr White. Helmed by omnipresent out director Joe Mantello, MCC Theater’s mounting is a must for the fierce, fearless performance by Roseanne’s Laurie Metcalf as a guilt-ridden pharmaceutical rep who may be hallucinating her runaway daughter due to what she thinks is brain cancer.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through May 1.
Peter and the Starcatcher
Based on a 2004 novel and starring cutie Adam Chanler-Berat, this imaginative Peter Pan origin story is magical and anachronistic — think Wicked meets Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson on a boat — but it’s exhaustingly frantic and full of groaners. Temperamentals star Arnie Burton dons drag as governess to Wendy’s mom Molly, but an uproariously fey Christian Borle steals the show as a mustachioed pirate who becomes Captain Hook.
New York Theatre Workshop, through April 17.
- Kris Humphries Doesn't Support Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel