BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 6:40 PM ET
The People in the Picture
Leave it to Beaches writer Iris Rainer Dart to pen the book and lyrics to the best Jewish musical since Fiddler on the Roof, a Holocaust story with yuks and a serviceable score by old hit-makers Mike Stoller and Artie Butler. Donna Murphy makes a meal of her role as a dying Bubbie recalling her youth as a Yiddish theater actress. Alexander Gemignani, who last played gay in Road Show, costars as her “homosexual” husband of convenience.
Studio 54, through June 19.
Catch Me If You Can
Based on the 2002 film about teen con man Frank Abagnale, Jr., this stylish musical has a gay dream team — librettist Terrence McNally, choreographer Jerry Mitchell, director Jack O’Brien, and composer-lyricists Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman — but as oddly framed by a confession via a ’60s variety show, it’s low on substance. As Frank and his pursuant FBI agent, Howl’s Aaron Tveit and Norbert Leo Butz work hard for little effect.
Neil Simon Theatre, open-ended.
Joel Grey as gangster Moonface Martin does nothing to make this ship-set musical less creaky, but it’s still good for showcasing sparkling Cole Porter tunes (“You’re the Top” always makes me giggle!), hot sailors in tight white pants, and “no homo” moments of mistaken identity. Miscast as brassy nightclub singer Reno Sweeney, Sutton Foster can’t compare to Merman and LuPone, but her big voice and charm keep this revival afloat.
Stephen Sondheim Theatre, through January 8.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 11 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 34 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 42 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 52 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 51 sec ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 47 min ago