Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for April 2011
BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 6:40 PM ET
Writer Matthew Lombardo and director Rob Ruggiero, the gay duo who took on Tallulah Bankhead in Looped, reunited on this clichéd melodrama, which starred a blowsy Kathleen Turner as a foul-mouthed nun and Evan Jonigkeit as Cody, the gay meth-addict she rehabilitates. In the flop’s most memorable scene, Cody stripped naked and tried to assault the sister; I’m not saying “it” was distracting, but he should get a special Tony.
Booth Theatre, closed April 24.
Go Back to Where You Are
This ingeniously surreal, self-aware comedy could have only come from the odd mind of out actor-playwright David Greenspan. The quirky Some Men star played a shapeshifting chorus boy from ancient Greece who falls for a handsome widower — Brian Hutchinson, who last played gay in Looped — when god-sent to present-day Long Island. Helmed by out director Leigh Silverman, it was the sweetest, strangest gay love story of the season.
Playwrights Horizons, closed May 1.
In out playwright Christopher Shinn’s perplexing drama, Cloverfield’s appealing Michael Stahl-David stars as Kevin, a young actor whose career stalls after he does a space movie with a slimy director and unstable costar. Kevin, who’d rather take baths than sleep with his girlfriend, worries that people perceive him as gay. Shinn’s a master of suspense, but nothing really happens, forcing viewers to read between all the weird homoerotic tension.
Vineyard Theatre, through May 22.
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 16 min 50 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 16 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 22 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 6 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 6 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 2 hours 8 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 11:39 AM