BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 7:40 PM ET
Writer Matthew Lombardo and director Rob Ruggiero, the gay duo who took on Tallulah Bankhead in Looped, reunited on this clichéd melodrama, which starred a blowsy Kathleen Turner as a foul-mouthed nun and Evan Jonigkeit as Cody, the gay meth-addict she rehabilitates. In the flop’s most memorable scene, Cody stripped naked and tried to assault the sister; I’m not saying “it” was distracting, but he should get a special Tony.
Booth Theatre, closed April 24.
Go Back to Where You Are
This ingeniously surreal, self-aware comedy could have only come from the odd mind of out actor-playwright David Greenspan. The quirky Some Men star played a shapeshifting chorus boy from ancient Greece who falls for a handsome widower — Brian Hutchinson, who last played gay in Looped — when god-sent to present-day Long Island. Helmed by out director Leigh Silverman, it was the sweetest, strangest gay love story of the season.
Playwrights Horizons, closed May 1.
In out playwright Christopher Shinn’s perplexing drama, Cloverfield’s appealing Michael Stahl-David stars as Kevin, a young actor whose career stalls after he does a space movie with a slimy director and unstable costar. Kevin, who’d rather take baths than sleep with his girlfriend, worries that people perceive him as gay. Shinn’s a master of suspense, but nothing really happens, forcing viewers to read between all the weird homoerotic tension.
Vineyard Theatre, through May 22.
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 35 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 44 min 49 sec ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM