BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 6:40 PM ET
Writer Matthew Lombardo and director Rob Ruggiero, the gay duo who took on Tallulah Bankhead in Looped, reunited on this clichéd melodrama, which starred a blowsy Kathleen Turner as a foul-mouthed nun and Evan Jonigkeit as Cody, the gay meth-addict she rehabilitates. In the flop’s most memorable scene, Cody stripped naked and tried to assault the sister; I’m not saying “it” was distracting, but he should get a special Tony.
Booth Theatre, closed April 24.
Go Back to Where You Are
This ingeniously surreal, self-aware comedy could have only come from the odd mind of out actor-playwright David Greenspan. The quirky Some Men star played a shapeshifting chorus boy from ancient Greece who falls for a handsome widower — Brian Hutchinson, who last played gay in Looped — when god-sent to present-day Long Island. Helmed by out director Leigh Silverman, it was the sweetest, strangest gay love story of the season.
Playwrights Horizons, closed May 1.
In out playwright Christopher Shinn’s perplexing drama, Cloverfield’s appealing Michael Stahl-David stars as Kevin, a young actor whose career stalls after he does a space movie with a slimy director and unstable costar. Kevin, who’d rather take baths than sleep with his girlfriend, worries that people perceive him as gay. Shinn’s a master of suspense, but nothing really happens, forcing viewers to read between all the weird homoerotic tension.
Vineyard Theatre, through May 22.
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 56 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 58 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 1 hour 10 min ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 1 hour 40 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 2 hours 7 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 2 hours 9 min ago