Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for April 2011
BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 7:40 PM ET
Reading Under the Influence
Watch what happens when a kooky group of wine-guzzling Westchester County women sell the rights to their book club to slimy reality TV producer in Tony Glazer’s comedy. Die Mommie Die’s Ashley Austin Morris is a delight as a vajazzled ditz who causes a brief stir when she declares her bisexuality and makes out with a curious club member. The jokes are often hokey and stale, but I’d totally tune in if these ladies were on Bravo.
DR2 Theatre, through May 15.
School for Lies
Written in vicious verse, this gleeful riff on Molière’s The Misanthrope — the latest collaboration of playwright David Ives and director Walter Bobbie — cleverly marries period flair with modern slang, serving up a comic feast for Hamish Linklater and Mamie Gummer as acid-tongued French aristocrats. Among the fancy fops, Hoon Lee is a highlight as Philante, who embraces rumors of his crossdressing habit with gusto.
Classic Stage Company, through May 22.
Carson McCullers Talks About Love
In her solo show, Suzanne Vega puts on a mousey wig and wipes off lipstick to become troubled writer Carson McCullers, who doesn’t shy from detailing her lesbian crushes and flings. Written with Spring Awakening’s Duncan Sheik, the concept album-like songs are just gorgeous, and the “Tom’s Diner” singer’s caramel voice suits them splendidly, but cutesy banter with pianist Joe Iconis makes the messy tribute feel like cheesy cabaret.
Rattlestick Theatre, through June 4.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM