BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 6:40 PM ET
Reading Under the Influence
Watch what happens when a kooky group of wine-guzzling Westchester County women sell the rights to their book club to slimy reality TV producer in Tony Glazer’s comedy. Die Mommie Die’s Ashley Austin Morris is a delight as a vajazzled ditz who causes a brief stir when she declares her bisexuality and makes out with a curious club member. The jokes are often hokey and stale, but I’d totally tune in if these ladies were on Bravo.
DR2 Theatre, through May 15.
School for Lies
Written in vicious verse, this gleeful riff on Molière’s The Misanthrope — the latest collaboration of playwright David Ives and director Walter Bobbie — cleverly marries period flair with modern slang, serving up a comic feast for Hamish Linklater and Mamie Gummer as acid-tongued French aristocrats. Among the fancy fops, Hoon Lee is a highlight as Philante, who embraces rumors of his crossdressing habit with gusto.
Classic Stage Company, through May 22.
Carson McCullers Talks About Love
In her solo show, Suzanne Vega puts on a mousey wig and wipes off lipstick to become troubled writer Carson McCullers, who doesn’t shy from detailing her lesbian crushes and flings. Written with Spring Awakening’s Duncan Sheik, the concept album-like songs are just gorgeous, and the “Tom’s Diner” singer’s caramel voice suits them splendidly, but cutesy banter with pianist Joe Iconis makes the messy tribute feel like cheesy cabaret.
Rattlestick Theatre, through June 4.
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM