BY Brandon Voss
May 11 2011 6:40 PM ET
Home to drag Alices and theme-park pop songs by Jekyll & Hyde’s Frank Wildhorn, Lewis Carroll’s alternative universe is now shamelessly stuck in the tackiest corner of the ’90s. It’s not the worst setting for the musical, especially when it comes to boy band numbers and Miss American AIDS activist Kate Shindle as the Mad Hatter. In fact, if you remove your brain and see it as children’s theater, you might dig this Wicked rip-off.
Marquis Theatre, through May 15.
Like its subject, Lindsay, D’Arcy Drollinger’s multi-media piece is a promising work in progress. His troupe scores with outrageous drag impersonations, especially of famous feuders Paris Hilton and the Simpson sisters, but recapping every headline can result in coked-up chaos. The show’s best when it slows down enough to let Drollinger, a winning out performer, deliver a monologue pulled from a Lohan interview or court statement.
La MaMa E.T.C., through May 15.
Read our capsule reviews of The Intelligent Homosexual’s Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures and Ryan O’Connor Eats His Feelings in last Friday’sHot Sheet. Read last month’s Seat Filler review roundup here, and see a list of the 65th annual Tony Award nominations here.
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 6 min 53 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 15 min 25 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 40 min 29 sec ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 43 min 29 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 16 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 20 min ago
- Parenting Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting 1 hour 46 min ago