BY Brandon Voss
June 08 2011 12:20 PM ET
Through a Glass Darkly
In Atlantic Theater Company’s taut staging of Jenny Worton's moody adaptation of Ingmar Bergman's 1961 film, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan triumphs as Karin, a young schizophrenic who unravels before our eyes like beautiful ribbon on a dreadful gift while vacationing on a Swedish island with her ineffectual family. Newcomer Ben Rosenfield also shines as the “gentle and kind” Max, Karin’s sexually confused 16-year-old brother.
New York Theatre Workshop, through July 3.
Cradle and All
Daniel Goldfarb deftly explores commitment and parenthood in this perfectly precious new comedy, which juxtaposes two Brooklyn couples: one sleep-training their screaming baby and their hipper neighbors still debating whether or not to start a family. Most impressively, Maria Dizzia and Greg Keller transform between acts to play both couples, but Keller’s a standout as a metrosexual antiques dealer who fears the loss of freedom.
Manhattan Theatre Club – Stage I, through June 19.
The Best Is Yet to Come: The Music of Cy Coleman
Free of any Sondheim on Sondheim–style insight, this pleasingly upbeat revue honors late composer Cy Coleman, who wrote Broadway musicals including Sweet Charity and The Will Rogers Follies. Despite too many unknown songs by lyricist David Zippel, who devised and directed the show, it’s a real treat to hear Lillias White revisit The Life’s “The Oldest Profession,” a whore’s lament about male and female tricks, with Billy Stritch on piano.
59E59 Theatres, through July 3.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM