BY Brandon Voss
June 08 2011 12:20 PM ET
Through a Glass Darkly
In Atlantic Theater Company’s taut staging of Jenny Worton's moody adaptation of Ingmar Bergman's 1961 film, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan triumphs as Karin, a young schizophrenic who unravels before our eyes like beautiful ribbon on a dreadful gift while vacationing on a Swedish island with her ineffectual family. Newcomer Ben Rosenfield also shines as the “gentle and kind” Max, Karin’s sexually confused 16-year-old brother.
New York Theatre Workshop, through July 3.
Cradle and All
Daniel Goldfarb deftly explores commitment and parenthood in this perfectly precious new comedy, which juxtaposes two Brooklyn couples: one sleep-training their screaming baby and their hipper neighbors still debating whether or not to start a family. Most impressively, Maria Dizzia and Greg Keller transform between acts to play both couples, but Keller’s a standout as a metrosexual antiques dealer who fears the loss of freedom.
Manhattan Theatre Club – Stage I, through June 19.
The Best Is Yet to Come: The Music of Cy Coleman
Free of any Sondheim on Sondheim–style insight, this pleasingly upbeat revue honors late composer Cy Coleman, who wrote Broadway musicals including Sweet Charity and The Will Rogers Follies. Despite too many unknown songs by lyricist David Zippel, who devised and directed the show, it’s a real treat to hear Lillias White revisit The Life’s “The Oldest Profession,” a whore’s lament about male and female tricks, with Billy Stritch on piano.
59E59 Theatres, through July 3.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 21 min 18 sec ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 2 hours 25 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM