BY Brandon Voss
July 12 2011 7:00 AM ET
In Michael Weller's soapy companion piece to his 2008 drama Fifty Words,Next Fall’s Cotter Smith and Nip/Tuck’s Joely Richardson star as an aspiring politician and his bipolar wife, Midwesterners who really go off the rails when their teenage sons — one of whom experiments with his male roomie at boarding school — have an accident. Despite Richardson’s fierce commitment, it’s far too dull for a play about a woman on the verge.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, closed July 3.
In Amy Herzog’s quietly moving drama, a familial Harold and Maude for the modern age, a 21-year-old hippie finds comfort at his 91-year-old grandmother’s New York apartment after the death of his best buddy on their cross-country bike trip. As the feisty yet fading widow with a Communist past, Mary Louise Wilson of Grey Gardens fame is worth any long journey. The hit play reopens next year at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater.
LCT3 at the Duke on 42nd Street, closed July 9.
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
How did Broadway’s most troubled musical become coherent? What gave its villains, led by Patrick Page’s evil-queeny Green Goblin, a purpose? After bad press and highly publicized injuries, the webbed wonder welcomed three heroic gay additions to the creative team as Julie Taymor left the production: Playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, director Philip William McKinley, and choreographer Chase Brock came to save the day!
Foxwoods Theatre, open-ended.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 4 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 35 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 11 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 21 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 59 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM