BY Brandon Voss
July 12 2011 6:00 AM ET
In Michael Weller's soapy companion piece to his 2008 drama Fifty Words,Next Fall’s Cotter Smith and Nip/Tuck’s Joely Richardson star as an aspiring politician and his bipolar wife, Midwesterners who really go off the rails when their teenage sons — one of whom experiments with his male roomie at boarding school — have an accident. Despite Richardson’s fierce commitment, it’s far too dull for a play about a woman on the verge.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, closed July 3.
In Amy Herzog’s quietly moving drama, a familial Harold and Maude for the modern age, a 21-year-old hippie finds comfort at his 91-year-old grandmother’s New York apartment after the death of his best buddy on their cross-country bike trip. As the feisty yet fading widow with a Communist past, Mary Louise Wilson of Grey Gardens fame is worth any long journey. The hit play reopens next year at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater.
LCT3 at the Duke on 42nd Street, closed July 9.
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
How did Broadway’s most troubled musical become coherent? What gave its villains, led by Patrick Page’s evil-queeny Green Goblin, a purpose? After bad press and highly publicized injuries, the webbed wonder welcomed three heroic gay additions to the creative team as Julie Taymor left the production: Playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, director Philip William McKinley, and choreographer Chase Brock came to save the day!
Foxwoods Theatre, open-ended.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 2 hours 6 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 2 hours 58 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM