Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for July 2011
BY Brandon Voss
July 12 2011 7:00 AM ET
In Michael Weller's soapy companion piece to his 2008 drama Fifty Words,Next Fall’s Cotter Smith and Nip/Tuck’s Joely Richardson star as an aspiring politician and his bipolar wife, Midwesterners who really go off the rails when their teenage sons — one of whom experiments with his male roomie at boarding school — have an accident. Despite Richardson’s fierce commitment, it’s far too dull for a play about a woman on the verge.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, closed July 3.
In Amy Herzog’s quietly moving drama, a familial Harold and Maude for the modern age, a 21-year-old hippie finds comfort at his 91-year-old grandmother’s New York apartment after the death of his best buddy on their cross-country bike trip. As the feisty yet fading widow with a Communist past, Mary Louise Wilson of Grey Gardens fame is worth any long journey. The hit play reopens next year at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater.
LCT3 at the Duke on 42nd Street, closed July 9.
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
How did Broadway’s most troubled musical become coherent? What gave its villains, led by Patrick Page’s evil-queeny Green Goblin, a purpose? After bad press and highly publicized injuries, the webbed wonder welcomed three heroic gay additions to the creative team as Julie Taymor left the production: Playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, director Philip William McKinley, and choreographer Chase Brock came to save the day!
Foxwoods Theatre, open-ended.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Seat Filler: What's Gay Off-Broadway
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 7 min 49 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 11 min 44 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 11 min 45 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 11 min 55 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 12 min 12 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 32 min 50 sec ago
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 1 hour 2 min ago