BY Brandon Voss
September 14 2011 12:20 PM ET
Hero: The Musical
Commissioned for the 100th anniversary of the death of Korean freedom fighter An Chung-gun, this Korean sensation made its American debut for a brief English-supertitled engagement at Lincoln Center. Lush with soldiers, geishas, songs about dumplings, and elaborate scenery including a life-size train, this eye-popping agitprop drama is clearly, zealously inspired by Broadway spectacles like Evita, West Side Story, and Miss Saigon.
David H. Koch Theater, closed September 3.
Tricks the Devil Taught Me
Tony Georges made an inauspicious off-Broadway debut with his boozy, Southern-fried family melodrama — a first draft of August: Osage County if reimagined by Del Shores — about a fractious Texan couple whose child is doomed to repeat their mistakes. Sordid Lives star Beth Grant seared as the foul-mouthed matriarch while Peter Bradbury and TJ Linnard oozed trashy sexiness as father and son, but the play was damned from the start.
Minetta Lane Theatre, closed August 28.
The Addams Family
After it was announced that Brooke Shields would play Morticia Addams through the end of the year, it was announced that out composer Andrew Lippa’s musical would die with her departure. I’m morbidly happy to report that while Bebe Neuwirth was born to play Morticia, Shields was born to replace her, despite her blithe spirit. The current cast also boasts scarily good gay talent like Roger Rees as Gomez and Brad Oscar as Uncle Fester.
Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, through December 31.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 25 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 51 min 12 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 25 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM