Seat Filler: 's Guide to Theater
BY Brandon Voss
October 12 2011 7:17 PM ET
Driven by Our Town-y narration, James Lantz’s intimate and touching drama stars Bryan Fitzgerald and Will Roland as teens who swap spit in an old bus parked in the middle of an explosive conflict between a megachurch and a gas station. Though often steered off-course, it’s an admirable critique of faith-fueled small-town homophobia. The Bus next travels to Topeka, Kan., in hopes of imparting its message to Westboro Baptist Church.
59E59 Theatres, through October 30.
A self-referential memory play that recalls The Glass Menagerie, late gay playwright Lanford Wilson's autobiographical 1970 drama is enjoying a quietly powerful revival courtesy of Keen Company. Keith Nobbs, who memorably played gay in Stupid Kids and Four, is immensely engaging as Alan, a sweet but aimless 17-year-old who gets attacked for his perceived homosexuality after moving in with his estranged father’s new family.
The Clurman Theatre, through October 22.
Both n-words and f-words fly like daggers in MCC Theater’s piercing premiere of Jeff Talbott’s scintillating drama, which stars Glee’s Jonathan Groff as a gay playwright who has written a surefire hit about a black family in the projects. True Blood’s Rutina Wesley plays the actress hired as his stand-in when the play’s accepted into a prestigious festival, and American Pie’s Eddie Kaye Thomas provides comic relief as his devoted boyfriend.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through October 22.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM