Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for October 2011
BY Brandon Voss
October 12 2011 8:17 PM ET
Arias with a Twist
Downtown drag artiste and Zumanity alum Joey Arias returns with a pimped-out version of his fantastical 2008 multimedia extravaganza directed and designed by famed gay puppeteer Basil Twist. Whether probed by aliens, seduced by devils during a ’shroom-induced hallucination, or possessed by Billie Holiday while fronting a jazz band of marionettes, Arias reaffirms his status as incomparable entertainer and infamous oddity.
Abrons Arts Center’s Henry Street Settlement, through October 16.
At turns uplifting and devastating, this outstanding folk-bluegrass musical by Julianne Wick and Dan Collins — based on Kate Davis’s 2001 documentary — celebrates a “chosen family” of transgender friends in rural Georgia who debate whether gender is in the head or between the legs. Annette O’Toole is a revelation as Robert Eads, a trans man denied care for ovarian cancer, and Jeff McCarthy stuns as his trans girlfriend Lola Cola.
CAP21 Black Box Theatre, through October 29.
After a hit run at the Kennedy Center, a near-flawless revival of Stephen Sondheim and James Goldman’s 1971 masterpiece sparkles on Broadway like fine champagne. As old frenemies stuck in a soapy love quadrangle, peerless divas Bernadette Peters and Jan Maxwell headline this reunion for aging chorines, but the show’s secret weapon is Elaine Paige, who entertains maybe-gay cater waiters with her impassioned “I'm Still Here.”
Marquis Theatre, through January 22.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 45 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM