Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2011
BY Brandon Voss
November 15 2011 7:17 PM ET
Venus in Fur
Out director Walter Bobbie helms David Ives’s exhilarating two-hander, which stars Hugh Dancy as Thomas, a playwright auditioning actresses for his adaptation of Sacher-Masoch’s 1870 erotic novel. Born Yesterday’s vivacious Nina Arianda wows as Vanda, a mysterious spitfire who thrillingly takes charge as the dominatrix, but Thomas also ends up playing the female part as sexual tension rises and scripted fantasy blurs with reality.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through December 18.
Staged on an abstract football field, Hung scribe Julia Brownell’s tense, tightly formed play isn’t really about football. Katie (Meredith Forlenza) has just joined her new high school’s varsity boys’ team, and her overbearing dad, Mike (C.J. Wilson), a former NFL star, revels in her success while ignoring her athletically challenged twin brother (Harry Zittel). But will Katie fumble the whole family if she decides to tackle a new dream?
LCT3 @ the Duke on 42nd Street, through November 19.
Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway
Accompanied by an 18-piece orchestra and backup dancers he calls his Dreamgirls, the triple threat’s interactive solo show reflects on his charmed life and career as he shares his favorite songs, including “One Night Only,” “Over the Rainbow,” and “Fever.” Radiating sex and confidence, he gleefully revisits Peter Allen — the gay role that earned him a 2004 Tony for The Boy From Oz — in one of many glorious medleys.
Broadhurst Theatre, through January 1.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 1 hour 28 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 54 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM