Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2011
BY Brandon Voss
November 15 2011 7:17 PM ET
Venus in Fur
Out director Walter Bobbie helms David Ives’s exhilarating two-hander, which stars Hugh Dancy as Thomas, a playwright auditioning actresses for his adaptation of Sacher-Masoch’s 1870 erotic novel. Born Yesterday’s vivacious Nina Arianda wows as Vanda, a mysterious spitfire who thrillingly takes charge as the dominatrix, but Thomas also ends up playing the female part as sexual tension rises and scripted fantasy blurs with reality.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through December 18.
Staged on an abstract football field, Hung scribe Julia Brownell’s tense, tightly formed play isn’t really about football. Katie (Meredith Forlenza) has just joined her new high school’s varsity boys’ team, and her overbearing dad, Mike (C.J. Wilson), a former NFL star, revels in her success while ignoring her athletically challenged twin brother (Harry Zittel). But will Katie fumble the whole family if she decides to tackle a new dream?
LCT3 @ the Duke on 42nd Street, through November 19.
Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway
Accompanied by an 18-piece orchestra and backup dancers he calls his Dreamgirls, the triple threat’s interactive solo show reflects on his charmed life and career as he shares his favorite songs, including “One Night Only,” “Over the Rainbow,” and “Fever.” Radiating sex and confidence, he gleefully revisits Peter Allen — the gay role that earned him a 2004 Tony for The Boy From Oz — in one of many glorious medleys.
Broadhurst Theatre, through January 1.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 38 min 22 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 44 min 42 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 8 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 16 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 23 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 6 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 37 min ago