Seat Filler: 's Guide to New York Theater
BY Brandon Voss
November 15 2011 6:17 PM ET
Venus in Fur
Out director Walter Bobbie helms David Ives’s exhilarating two-hander, which stars Hugh Dancy as Thomas, a playwright auditioning actresses for his adaptation of Sacher-Masoch’s 1870 erotic novel. Born Yesterday’s vivacious Nina Arianda wows as Vanda, a mysterious spitfire who thrillingly takes charge as the dominatrix, but Thomas also ends up playing the female part as sexual tension rises and scripted fantasy blurs with reality.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through December 18.
Staged on an abstract football field, Hung scribe Julia Brownell’s tense, tightly formed play isn’t really about football. Katie (Meredith Forlenza) has just joined her new high school’s varsity boys’ team, and her overbearing dad, Mike (C.J. Wilson), a former NFL star, revels in her success while ignoring her athletically challenged twin brother (Harry Zittel). But will Katie fumble the whole family if she decides to tackle a new dream?
LCT3 @ the Duke on 42nd Street, through November 19.
Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway
Accompanied by an 18-piece orchestra and backup dancers he calls his Dreamgirls, the triple threat’s interactive solo show reflects on his charmed life and career as he shares his favorite songs, including “One Night Only,” “Over the Rainbow,” and “Fever.” Radiating sex and confidence, he gleefully revisits Peter Allen — the gay role that earned him a 2004 Tony for The Boy From Oz — in one of many glorious medleys.
Broadhurst Theatre, through January 1.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 7 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 11 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 1 hour 25 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 1 hour 25 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 38 min ago