Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2011
BY Brandon Voss
January 02 2012 1:39 PM ET
10. Camp Wanatachi
Created by star Natalie Elizabeth Weiss and featuring soul-stirring electro beats by Machinedrum, this uplifting and endlessly impressive musical starred Marissa O’Donnell as Jana, a 13-year-old whose pious Christian beliefs get rocked by her unlikely romance with new camper Titi O’Malley, a slutty bulimic played by Krystina Alabado. Like Skins meets Saved!, it was a smart, surprisingly respectful satire of sexuality and spiritual faith.
La MaMa E.T.C., closed February 6.
9. One Arm
Adapted by out director Moisés Kaufman with narration recalling Tom from The Glass Menagerie, an unproduced 1967 Tennessee Williams screenplay came hauntingly to life courtesy of the New Group and Tectonic Theater Project. You couldn’t take your eyes off hunky out actor Claybourne Elder, which made him ideal to play Ollie, a boxer who becomes a gay-for-pay hustler and death row inmate after losing an arm in an accident.
The Acorn Theatre at Theatre Row, closed July 2.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1 hour 21 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM