Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2011
BY Brandon Voss
January 02 2012 1:39 PM ET
10. Camp Wanatachi
Created by star Natalie Elizabeth Weiss and featuring soul-stirring electro beats by Machinedrum, this uplifting and endlessly impressive musical starred Marissa O’Donnell as Jana, a 13-year-old whose pious Christian beliefs get rocked by her unlikely romance with new camper Titi O’Malley, a slutty bulimic played by Krystina Alabado. Like Skins meets Saved!, it was a smart, surprisingly respectful satire of sexuality and spiritual faith.
La MaMa E.T.C., closed February 6.
9. One Arm
Adapted by out director Moisés Kaufman with narration recalling Tom from The Glass Menagerie, an unproduced 1967 Tennessee Williams screenplay came hauntingly to life courtesy of the New Group and Tectonic Theater Project. You couldn’t take your eyes off hunky out actor Claybourne Elder, which made him ideal to play Ollie, a boxer who becomes a gay-for-pay hustler and death row inmate after losing an arm in an accident.
The Acorn Theatre at Theatre Row, closed July 2.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM