Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2011
BY Brandon Voss
January 02 2012 1:39 PM ET
8. Southern Comfort
At turns uplifting and devastating, this folk-bluegrass musical by Julianne Wick and Dan Collins — based on Kate Davis’s 2001 documentary — celebrated a “chosen family” of trans friends in rural Georgia who debate whether gender is in the head or between the legs. Annette O’Toole was a revelation as Robert Eads, a trans man denied care for ovarian cancer, and Jeff McCarthy found the humor and heart in his trans girlfriend Lola.
CAP21 Black Box Theatre, closed October 29.
7. Sons of the Prophet
Out playwright Stephen Karam's poignant dramedy lyrically explores human suffering in Roundabout’s phenomenal production. Opposite the great Joanna Gleason as a loopy, manipulative boss, Santino Fontana and Chris Perfetti have touching chemistry as gay Lebanese-American brothers coping with odd ailments and their father’s death. Charles Socarides plays a gay journalist — and love interest — covering the family’s story.
Laura Pels Theatre, through January 1.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 1 hour 58 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2 hours 32 sec ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2 hours 1 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 2 hours 29 min ago