Harris Hosts With Aplomb
BY Neal Broverman
June 11 2012 10:50 AM ET
Neil Patrick Harris hosted the 66th annual Tony Awards Sunday night, which saw awards go to the musical Once and a revival of Death of a Salesman, and acting nods to Broadway favorites like Audra McDonald and Judith Light.
Light, an ardent gay rights supporter, won for her featured performance in Other Desert Cities. She told the audience she felt like "the luckiest girl in New York." McDonald, now a five-time Tony winner at age 41, won her latest award for her role in The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess.
But it was Once, the musical based on the somber film, that won Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical. Lead actor Steve Kazee also won for his role in Once, the story of two musicians falling in love in Ireland. Best Play went to Clybourne Park, a meditation on race relations. Christian Borle, known to TV audiences from his role in Smash, won for his featured role in the play Peter and the Starcatcher.
Best Direction of a Play went to Mike Nichols, who directed the revival of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, which also won Best Revival.
Harris kept the energy up for the entirety of the show, singing numerous numbers, and at one point, hanging upside down like Spider-Man (Broadway's Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark didn't win any Tonys). Also appearing at the awards, and in the show's Book of Mormon-themed opening number, was Ricky Martin, who currently stars in Evita.
Click through for more Tony Awards images.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 1 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 2 hours 24 min ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 2 hours 57 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 6:18 PM