Harris Hosts With Aplomb
BY Neal Broverman
June 11 2012 11:50 AM ET
Neil Patrick Harris hosted the 66th annual Tony Awards Sunday night, which saw awards go to the musical Once and a revival of Death of a Salesman, and acting nods to Broadway favorites like Audra McDonald and Judith Light.
Light, an ardent gay rights supporter, won for her featured performance in Other Desert Cities. She told the audience she felt like "the luckiest girl in New York." McDonald, now a five-time Tony winner at age 41, won her latest award for her role in The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess.
But it was Once, the musical based on the somber film, that won Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical. Lead actor Steve Kazee also won for his role in Once, the story of two musicians falling in love in Ireland. Best Play went to Clybourne Park, a meditation on race relations. Christian Borle, known to TV audiences from his role in Smash, won for his featured role in the play Peter and the Starcatcher.
Best Direction of a Play went to Mike Nichols, who directed the revival of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, which also won Best Revival.
Harris kept the energy up for the entirety of the show, singing numerous numbers, and at one point, hanging upside down like Spider-Man (Broadway's Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark didn't win any Tonys). Also appearing at the awards, and in the show's Book of Mormon-themed opening number, was Ricky Martin, who currently stars in Evita.
Click through for more Tony Awards images.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2 hours 6 min ago
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM