Broadway Baby Bares All
BY John Carroll
July 02 2012 6:02 PM ET
Because I wanted to immerse myself in the process, I asked Lee if I could shadow him, follow him around, and learn the ropes. I sat with him in technical meetings and in dance rehearsals and went with him to see props and costumes. It was overwhelming to see how many professionals, at the top of their field, were so giving and selfless. They wanted to do everything they could to put on the best show imaginable to raise money for this cause. There is an army of magnificent people behind the scenes who give their heart and soul to this benefit and never ask for the spotlight. They are the true stars. Without them, there would be no show.
The morning of the performance, I arrived at the theater and went straight to the huge space they had set up as a dressing room for all the dancers (227 to be exact). My ridiculously sweet and talented costume team told me that I would be getting ready in the "male stars' dressing room."
"Um, excuse me, what?”
I made a point to remind them that I am John Carroll, not Kyle Dean Massey, and braced myself for the hideous ego impact that was about to occur. However, they assured me it was not a colossal joke and escorted me to the dressing room that I would share with only two other people, Mr. Massey and, get this ... wait for it .. wait ... for ... it ... Lady Bunny.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 34 min 5 sec ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM