Op-ed: Why Gay Men Love The Theater
BY Jim David
July 08 2012 1:12 PM ET
We also love musicals and musical divas – ask many straight guys who Patti LuPone or Audra McDonald are and you’ll hear crickets. And we love loud, brassy women, the kind of girls with a big talent, a hilarious sense of humor and a quick tongue. The theater attracts many of those girls, and when I began writing my novel, You’ll Be Swell, it quickly became about one of those women who are phenomenally talented, frequently overweight, and pal around with gay men. I had known plenty of them.
You’ll Be Swell, the title of which comes, of course, from “Everything’s Coming Up Roses,”chronicles the ups and downs of a great talent trying to make it as an actress, held back by both the perils of show business and her own self-esteem. Since I originally moved to New York to work in theater – when I got to New York, the theater said, “We don’t see you as an actor, we see you as an usher” – the book became a fantasy of if I had made it as a musical comedy star with a couple of hot men vying for my affections.
I know the theatrical world well and wrote about my early days as a struggling performer through the eyes of Lucy, the main character. I had forgotten how hilarious it was to work in a Times Square steakhouse or perform singing telegrams dressed as a chicken.
The book became, partly, about my own fantasy career if I was doing Anything Goes instead of Comedy Central. I’m one of those gay men who really loves the theater, but if I can’t work in it, at least I can dream. And so Lucy is a great talent who ultimately makes it, but not at all in the way she intended.
Jim David’s first novel, You’ll Be Swell, is available in paperback on Amazon.com, and on Ebook on Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, and the iTunes bookstore.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 14 min 58 sec ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 51 min 9 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM