Op-ed: Why Gay Men Love The Theater
BY Jim David
July 08 2012 1:12 PM ET
We also love musicals and musical divas – ask many straight guys who Patti LuPone or Audra McDonald are and you’ll hear crickets. And we love loud, brassy women, the kind of girls with a big talent, a hilarious sense of humor and a quick tongue. The theater attracts many of those girls, and when I began writing my novel, You’ll Be Swell, it quickly became about one of those women who are phenomenally talented, frequently overweight, and pal around with gay men. I had known plenty of them.
You’ll Be Swell, the title of which comes, of course, from “Everything’s Coming Up Roses,”chronicles the ups and downs of a great talent trying to make it as an actress, held back by both the perils of show business and her own self-esteem. Since I originally moved to New York to work in theater – when I got to New York, the theater said, “We don’t see you as an actor, we see you as an usher” – the book became a fantasy of if I had made it as a musical comedy star with a couple of hot men vying for my affections.
I know the theatrical world well and wrote about my early days as a struggling performer through the eyes of Lucy, the main character. I had forgotten how hilarious it was to work in a Times Square steakhouse or perform singing telegrams dressed as a chicken.
The book became, partly, about my own fantasy career if I was doing Anything Goes instead of Comedy Central. I’m one of those gay men who really loves the theater, but if I can’t work in it, at least I can dream. And so Lucy is a great talent who ultimately makes it, but not at all in the way she intended.
Jim David’s first novel, You’ll Be Swell, is available in paperback on Amazon.com, and on Ebook on Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, and the iTunes bookstore.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 32 min 33 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 33 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 58 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 33 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM