WATCH: Why We'll Miss Cirque du Soleil's 'Iris'
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 11 2013 12:59 PM ET
If you've ever seen a Cirque du Soleil show, you know they are hugely ambitious theater productions that combine fanciful, imaginary worlds with gravity-defying acrobatics and dancers, contortionists, muscle men (and women), often subversive homo (or lesbo) eroticism, and the otherwise gorgeously dexterous. Iris, which opened at Hollywood's Dolby Theater (yes, home of the Academy Awards) in September 2011, was â€” in true Tinseltown style â€” one of the most ambitious, with original music by the famed film and TV composer Danny Elfman. Written and directed by France's Philippe DecouflĂ©, the show utilized 70 performers (several of whom are LGBT) to illustrate the history of movies from the silent era to today. Sadly, the show closed rather abruptly last Saturday, after what organizers called poor ticket sales, and Cirque hasn't announced whether or not it will revive the show in another city (the producers hope to keep on many of the performers and support staff in some capacity).
Here's what you missed in the surprisingly homoerotic, fantastical Iris.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Busâ€”Again
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM