WATCH: Gay Progress in Mothers and Sons Promo
BY Brandon Voss
May 24 2014 1:55 PM ET
Tyne Daly gets into character and laments a changing world in a new commercial for Mothers and Sons, the Tony-nominated Broadway drama by Tony-winning gay playwright Terrence McNally.
Mothers and Sons stars the Tony- and Emmy-winning Cagney & Lacey alum as a mother paying an unexpected visit to her late son's former lover (Frederick Weller), who is now raising a child (Grayson Taylor) with his husband (Bobby Steggert). Daly and Steggert reprise the roles they created in last summer's world premiere engagement at Bucks County Playhouse.
Star of the 1995 indie classic Stonewall, Weller played a homophobe in Take Me Out and tackled multiple gay roles in McNally's Some Men. Steggert, who starred as a gay soldier in the World War II musical Yank!, revealed that he is gay in a 2013 interview with Out.
Directed by Next Fall's Sheryl Kaller, Mothers and Sons opened March 24 for an open-ended run at the Golden Theatre, where portions of the AIDS Memorial Quilt are now on display.
The show marks McNally's 20th Broadway production. Others include The Ritz, The Rink, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Master Class, and Love! Valour! Compassion!
The official Mothers and Sons Twitter account recently shared a series of antigay tweets that had been posted by other Twitter users, writing, "We've come a long way. There's still work to be done. Keep the progress going."
See Mothers and Sons photos here and watch the commercial below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Everything You Need to Know So Far About Marriage Equality in Utah