Harvey Fierstein's Casa Valentina Gets Caricature
BY Brandon Voss
June 03 2014 5:00 AM ET
Fallin, a noted Wall Street Journal illustrator who also creates the poster art for Forbidden Broadway, continues in the artistic tradition of legendary Broadway caricaturist Al Hirschfeld.
Set in the 1960s and based on actual events, Casa Valentina is Harvey Fierstein's new play about husbands who identify as heterosexual but congregate in the Catskills to dress and act like housewives. Directed by Joe Mantello of Take Me Out and Wicked fame, the world premiere opened April 23 and has extended through June 29 at Manhattan Theatre Club's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre.
Casa Valentina recently received four Tony Award nominations, including Best Play. The cast includes Reed Birney, John Cullum, Gabriel Ebert, Lisa Emery, Tom McGowan, Patrick Page, Larry Pine, Nick Westrate, and Mare Winningham.
See more of Fallin's Playbill.com stage portraits of this season's LGBT-inclusive Broadway shows, including Neil Patrick Harris in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, here.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- LGBT Groups, Conservatives Outraged As Straight Mates Marry for Rugby Tickets
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Kazakhstan Politicians Call for DNA Testing to Identify Gays