Which Song Gets NPH Into Hedwig's Head?
BY Brandon Voss
July 18 2014 12:50 PM ET
Neil Patrick Harris sat down with HuffPost Live yesterday to discuss his involvement in LG's Art of the Pixel, a student media competition, as well his upcoming film Gone Girl. The new Heineken Light beer spokesman also revealed what prepares him to perform in the Tony Award-winning musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
While slipping on his character's wigs and heels, Harris's pre-show ritual involves the song "#Selfie" by the Chainsmokers. "I listen to that before I go on or when I'm in a bad mood because it for some reason makes me laugh and is just kind of hilarious enough to get out of my head and into her head," he explains.
Harris won the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Hedwig, a fictional East German singer and "slip of a girly boy" living as a female after botched gender-reassignment surgery.
The Broadway premiere of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's 1998 cult rock musical, which won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical, opened April 22 at the Belasco Theatre and recently recouped its investment. The original cast recording is now available.
Harris will continue with the production through August 17. Girls star Andrew Rannells, a Tony nominee for his work in The Book of Mormon, will take over the role August 20 for a limited eight-week run.
Watch Harris's HuffPost Live interview and the "#Selfie" video below.
- Hollywood Chick-fil-A Hosts LGBT Fundraiser
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: Pastor Gets a Taste of His 'Sodomite Semen' Lattes By Sharing Parody Video
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out