Adam Shankman on L.A. Hair: 'A Lot of Naked!'
BY Brandon Voss
July 30 2014 1:15 PM ET
Who will take it all off in Hair at the Hollywood Bowl?
Entertainment Tonight asked the burning question while visiting rehearsals of the summer staging, which will be presented Friday through Sunday at the historic Los Angeles venue.
While ensemble members will disrobe, it seems that the show's major stars plan to stay clothed, including Frozen's Kristen Bell, who blames "cell phone cameras" for her modesty. "I don't think they're ready for this jelly," adds Glee's Amber Riley.
"There's gonna be a lot of naked, believe me," says Adam Shankman, Hair's director and choreographer. "But it's not sexualized."
The Hollywood Bowl revival of Galt MacDermot, Gerome Ragni, and James Rado's Tony Award-winning 1967 "American tribal love-rock musical" stars Weeds alum Hunter Parrish as Vietnam War draftee Claude, the apex of a bisexual love triangle within a bohemian tribe.
The production also stars Glee's Jenna Ushkowitz, Modern Family's Sarah Hyland, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter's Benjamin Walker, and recording artist Mario.
Shankman, an Emmy nominee, directed and choreographed Prop 8: The Musical and the film adaptations of Hairspray and Rock of Ages. He has also directed episodes of Glee and Modern Family. The So You Think You Can Dance judge received Outfest's 2011 Visionary Award "in recognition of his contribution to LGBT arts and media visibility."
For tickets and more information visit HollywoodBowl.com.
Watch the Hair cast during rehearsals in the clip below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad