Michael Urie to Bring Buyer & Cellar Babs to U.K.
BY Brandon Voss
August 28 2014 12:06 PM ET
Like buttah! Michael Urie will channel Barbra Streisand across the pond in Buyer & Cellar.
The U.K. premiere of out playwright Jonathan Tolins's hit solo comedy, which imagines if the fabled private shopping mall in Streisand's Malibu basement had an employee, will begin performances March 11 and run through May 2 at London's Menier Chocolate Factory.
Urie, who starred in the world premiere off-Broadway, will reprise his role as struggling gay actor Alex, the diva's lowliest minion, and other characters.
The Advocate named Buyer & Cellar one of its top 10 LGBT-inclusive shows of 2013, calling it a "respectful but rib-tickling one-man wonder." Christopher J. Hanke and Barrett Foa later replaced Urie during the off-Broadway engagement.
Urie, an out actor best known for playing gay assistant Marc St. James on ABC's Ugly Betty, has also appeared in New York productions of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Angels in America, and The Temperamentals. He is on tour in Buyer & Cellar through Sunday at San Francisco's Curran Theatre before continuing with the show to Dallas and Toronto.
For more information visit MenierChocolateFactory.com.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- 33 Famous Gay Dads for Father's Day