Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2012
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2012 9:45 PM ET
Homer’s epic poem gets a searing, achingly relatable retelling that condemns mankind’s bloodlust by giving Trojan warriors a contemporary context — including “close friends” Achilles and Patroclus. Out actors Denis O’Hare and Stephen Spinella alternately perform this one-man tour de force; I saw True Blood’s quirky O’Hare, who created the piece with director Lisa Peterson, and I’ll fight to defend that it’s his finest work to date.
New York Theatre Workshop, through April 1.
Based on Stephen King's novel, the 1988 musical version of Carrie was Broadway’s bloodiest flop. The original authors have teamed with Altar Boyz director Stafford Arima and MCC Theater for a tastefully subdued revamp starring Molly Ranson as a telekinetic misfit and Marin Mazzie as her religious mom. This camp-free antibullying PSA takes itself very seriously, but you’re all gonna laugh at Corey Boardman as a questioning jock.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through April 22.
Set in a lady’s boudoir into which the audience peers as if through one-way mirrors, Red Bull Theater’s deliciously manic revival of Jean Genet’s 1947 revenge fantasy stars Ana Reeder and Jeanine Serralles as disgruntled housemaids and kissing sisters who engage in dangerous role-playing games to vent contempt for their mistress. This grandiose affair borders on drag — apropos since the gay playwright originally wanted men in the roles.
Theatre at St. Clement's, through April 1.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM