Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2012
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2012 8:45 PM ET
Homer’s epic poem gets a searing, achingly relatable retelling that condemns mankind’s bloodlust by giving Trojan warriors a contemporary context — including “close friends” Achilles and Patroclus. Out actors Denis O’Hare and Stephen Spinella alternately perform this one-man tour de force; I saw True Blood’s quirky O’Hare, who created the piece with director Lisa Peterson, and I’ll fight to defend that it’s his finest work to date.
New York Theatre Workshop, through April 1.
Based on Stephen King's novel, the 1988 musical version of Carrie was Broadway’s bloodiest flop. The original authors have teamed with Altar Boyz director Stafford Arima and MCC Theater for a tastefully subdued revamp starring Molly Ranson as a telekinetic misfit and Marin Mazzie as her religious mom. This camp-free antibullying PSA takes itself very seriously, but you’re all gonna laugh at Corey Boardman as a questioning jock.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through April 22.
Set in a lady’s boudoir into which the audience peers as if through one-way mirrors, Red Bull Theater’s deliciously manic revival of Jean Genet’s 1947 revenge fantasy stars Ana Reeder and Jeanine Serralles as disgruntled housemaids and kissing sisters who engage in dangerous role-playing games to vent contempt for their mistress. This grandiose affair borders on drag — apropos since the gay playwright originally wanted men in the roles.
Theatre at St. Clement's, through April 1.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 11 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM