Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2012
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2012 9:45 PM ET
Returning to the space where he helmed Our Town, out director David Cromer lends his exquisite touch to Nina Raine's family drama. Deaf actor Russell Harvard is immensely affecting as Billy, a deaf lip-reader and center of calm in a hearing family that yells but rarely listens. When a newly empowered Billy learns sign language and joins “the deaf community,” his skeptical father likens his self-marginalization to coming out as gay.
Barrow Street Theatre, through June 3.
Enjoy smart but soapy Downton Abbey–style drama in Joyce Hokin Sachs’s engrossing docuplay about the love triangle between charming mountaineer George Mallory (Christian Pedersen) and Bloomsbury group artists Vanessa Bell and actively homosexual Duncan Grant (Hollis McCarthy and Michael Gabriel Goodfriend) in 1923. Extra kudos goes to the handsome gents, who bravely bare all in one of the smallest theaters in town.
59E59 Theaters, through March 31.
Promising playwright Begonya Plaza uneasily stars in her heady but half-baked drama as Carlotta, a journalist who travels to Barcelona to divorce Andrés, her Spanish husband, and write an article on Saint Teresa of Ávila. In a second-act shocker, Carlotta reveals that she’s fallen in love with her vapid editor and traveling companion, Becky (Linda Larkin, voice of Aladdin’s Jasmine), sending Andrés into a rage full of antigay rhetoric.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through April 1.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 3 min 34 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM