Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2012
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2012 9:45 PM ET
Returning to the space where he helmed Our Town, out director David Cromer lends his exquisite touch to Nina Raine's family drama. Deaf actor Russell Harvard is immensely affecting as Billy, a deaf lip-reader and center of calm in a hearing family that yells but rarely listens. When a newly empowered Billy learns sign language and joins “the deaf community,” his skeptical father likens his self-marginalization to coming out as gay.
Barrow Street Theatre, through June 3.
Enjoy smart but soapy Downton Abbey–style drama in Joyce Hokin Sachs’s engrossing docuplay about the love triangle between charming mountaineer George Mallory (Christian Pedersen) and Bloomsbury group artists Vanessa Bell and actively homosexual Duncan Grant (Hollis McCarthy and Michael Gabriel Goodfriend) in 1923. Extra kudos goes to the handsome gents, who bravely bare all in one of the smallest theaters in town.
59E59 Theaters, through March 31.
Promising playwright Begonya Plaza uneasily stars in her heady but half-baked drama as Carlotta, a journalist who travels to Barcelona to divorce Andrés, her Spanish husband, and write an article on Saint Teresa of Ávila. In a second-act shocker, Carlotta reveals that she’s fallen in love with her vapid editor and traveling companion, Becky (Linda Larkin, voice of Aladdin’s Jasmine), sending Andrés into a rage full of antigay rhetoric.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through April 1.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 3 min 1 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM