Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2012
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2012 8:45 PM ET
Returning to the space where he helmed Our Town, out director David Cromer lends his exquisite touch to Nina Raine's family drama. Deaf actor Russell Harvard is immensely affecting as Billy, a deaf lip-reader and center of calm in a hearing family that yells but rarely listens. When a newly empowered Billy learns sign language and joins “the deaf community,” his skeptical father likens his self-marginalization to coming out as gay.
Barrow Street Theatre, through June 3.
Enjoy smart but soapy Downton Abbey–style drama in Joyce Hokin Sachs’s engrossing docuplay about the love triangle between charming mountaineer George Mallory (Christian Pedersen) and Bloomsbury group artists Vanessa Bell and actively homosexual Duncan Grant (Hollis McCarthy and Michael Gabriel Goodfriend) in 1923. Extra kudos goes to the handsome gents, who bravely bare all in one of the smallest theaters in town.
59E59 Theaters, through March 31.
Promising playwright Begonya Plaza uneasily stars in her heady but half-baked drama as Carlotta, a journalist who travels to Barcelona to divorce Andrés, her Spanish husband, and write an article on Saint Teresa of Ávila. In a second-act shocker, Carlotta reveals that she’s fallen in love with her vapid editor and traveling companion, Becky (Linda Larkin, voice of Aladdin’s Jasmine), sending Andrés into a rage full of antigay rhetoric.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through April 1.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 1 hour 25 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 2 hours 24 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 2 hours 25 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 55 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM