Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for May 2012
BY Brandon Voss
May 22 2012 3:01 PM ET
Cory Michael Smith’s spineless John is torn between two competitive lovers, Jason Butler Harner and Amanda Quaid as M and F, in Mike Bartlett’s Olivier Award-winning comedy, which raises but appropriately fails to answer questions about bisexuality: Isn’t who more important than what? James Macdonald urgently stages the verbal combat in the round, which invests the rapt audience like an exhilaratingly tense sporting event.
The Duke, through October 7.
Gabriel Kahane and Seth Bockley’s hauntingly sublime chamber musical stars out singer-songwriter Julian Fleisher as flamboyant editor George Davis, who created a bohemian Brooklyn commune in 1940 for colorful luminaries such as W.H. Auden, Benjamin Britten, Chester Kallman, Carson McCullers, Erika Mann, Peter Pears, and Gypsy Rose Lee — most gay or bisexual behind doors, all seeking inspiration at the dawn of war.
Public Theater, through June 10.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- 22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 58 min 21 sec ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 11 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 24 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 1 hour 30 min ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 4:19 PM
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 4:16 PM