Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for July 2012
BY Brandon Voss
July 26 2012 6:00 AM ET
Celebrating the life of Nigerian revolutionary Fela Kuti — alternately inhabited by Sahr Ngaujah and Adesola Osakalumi— the 2009 musical is back on Broadway, transforming the Hirschfeld into Kuti’s infamous Lagos nightclub, the Shrine. There’s a scary, somber edge to the political strife, but it’s mostly a colorfully rump-shaking, hip-thrusting tribute to the Afrobeat legend with Tony-winning choreography by out director Bill T. Jones.
Al Hirschfeld Theatre, through August 4.
Jurassic Park gets a silly yet surprisingly respectful transgender twist in this massively entertaining rock musical spoof, which was a 2010 FringeNYC favorite. Narrated by a white actor playing Morgan Freeman, a pack of naïve female dinosaurs — Lysistrata Jones alums Alex Wyse and Lindsay Nicole Chambers are comic standouts — go into a tailspin when a DNA mutation makes a T. rex (Claire Neumann) sprout male genitalia.
SoHo Playhouse, through August 5.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 14 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 29 min 44 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 46 min 19 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 4 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 6 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 29 min ago