Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for August 2012
BY Brandon Voss
August 29 2012 5:00 AM ET
Bring It On: The Musical
Boosted by Andy Blankenbuehler’s breathtaking choreography, this gleefully insipid musical — inspired by the 2000 flick about rival cheer squads — boasts a zingy original libretto by out Avenue Q book writer Jeff Whitty. The creative team also includes Next to Normal and In the Heights composers, but thank Whitty for La Cienega, the urban school’s matter-of-factly transgender hip-hop crew member played by out actor Gregory Haney.
St. James Theatre, through January 20.
Into the Woods
Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's Tony-winning musical about fractured fairy tales gets an unfocused but ultimately affecting revival against the magical backdrop of Central Park. Donna Murphy and Amy Adams add star power as the Witch and Baker’s Wife, but True Blood’s Denis O’Hare is the show’s soul, doubling in this bold new vision as the childless Baker and the father of a runaway boy who acts as the story’s imaginative Narrator.
Delacorte Theater, through September 1.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 16 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM