Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2012
BY Brandon Voss
September 26 2012 8:54 AM ET
Missionary in Manhattan
Presented by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Brooklyn as part of the Dream Up Festival, this brief and amusing world-premiere musical rips a page from Book of Mormon, Big Love, and even Nunsense as three kooky sister wives rechristen pop songs — Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You” becomes “Bless You,” for example — to raise funds to find their husband, “a homosexual with his butt” who has left his mission to run off with his male vocal coach.
Theater for the New City, closed September 9.
Thankfully, writer-performer Steven Strafford lived to tell the grotesquely vaudevillian tale of his three years spent as a sex-crazed crystal meth addict in Chicago. Scraping the black humor from rock bottom with brutal honesty, Strafford elevates familiar druggy anecdotes with musical direction by The Rosie O’Donnell Show’s John McDaniel, a love for ’80s sitcoms, game show interludes, and sharp one-liners like “Tuesday plus meth equals Friday.”
The Playroom Theater, closed September 23.
See last month’s New York theater review column here.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 47 min 28 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 48 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 47 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 48 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM