Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 8:00 AM ET
Modern Terrorism, or They Who Want to Kill Us and How We Learn to Love Them
John Kern’s black comedy has balls — and not just the ones chafed by an underwear bomb in the opening scene. This provocative satire somehow makes the uneasy audience care about a bumbling trio of rogue terrorists. Pitch Perfect’s Utkarsh Ambudkar anchors the production as Rahim, a sweet young Pakistani suicide bomber mixed up with a Somali who longs for an Islamic paradise where, among other hopes, his half-brother isn’t gay.
Second Stage Theatre, through November 4.
5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche
The ladies of the Susan B. Anthony Society for the Sisters of Gertrude Stein — that includes you, dear audience participants — won’t tolerate meat in their quiche. If you can stomach double-entendres like that, you’ll eat up Andrew Hobgood and Evan Linder’s light and fluffy 1956-set feminist satire starring Caitlin Chuckta, Rachel Farmer, Megan Johns, Thea Lux, and Maari Suorsa as widows embracing their sexuality after a nuclear attack.
SoHo Playhouse, through November 20.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM