Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 9:00 AM ET
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
In this 50th anniversary revival, Edward Albee’s masterpiece is in masterful hands with Steppenwolf’s Tracy Letts and Amy Morton — August: Osage County’s playwright and star — as combative boozers George and Martha, one of the most dysfunctional couples in history. Helmed by Clybourne Park’s Pam MacKinnon, this superlative staging shoots for exhilarating truth and realism in sobering contrast to the campier 2005 revival with Kathleen Turner.
Booth Theatre, through February 24.
An Enemy of the People
Manhattan Theatre Club and director Doug Hughes must be commended for making Ibsen’s musty 1882 morality play feel so vibrant, relevant, and accessible. Dependable stage veterans Boyd Gaines and Richard Thomas chew the scenery just enough as influential brothers feuding when one finds toxic water pollution at the local baths — a discovery that would make him a hero if the baths weren’t the small Norwegian community’s main revenue source.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through November 18.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM