Seat Filler: Holidays 2012 NYC Theater Guide
BY Brandon Voss
December 06 2012 10:46 AM ET
A Civil War Christmas
Lesbian playwright Paula Vogel provides a more somber but no less spectacular holiday offering with a tuneful pageant that begins Christmas Eve 1864 but has clear parallels to contemporary divisiveness. Staged with crafty story-theater spunk by out director Tina Landau, heartrending tales of soldiers and slaves share a bare stage with the Lincolns — the reliable Bob Stillman and Alice Ripley — who make the most of what will be their last Christmas together.
New York Theatre Workshop, through December 30.
The Holiday Guys in Happy Merry Hanu-Mas
Broadway regulars Jeffry Denman and Marc Kudisch team up for the infectiously joyous Off-Broadway premiere of their intimate holiday variety show, which celebrates the traditions of their Christian and Jewish upbringings, respectively. Armed with a guitar, a ukulele, and an irreverent sense of humor, the duo puts a folksy, jazzy, and refreshingly unexpected spin on holiday classics like “Do You Hear What I Hear” and South Park's “Lonely Jew on Christmas.”
The York Theatre at Saint Peter’s, December 18-31.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM