Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2012
BY Brandon Voss
December 19 2012 4:14 PM ET
5. Bring It On: The Musical
Boosted by Andy Blankenbuehler’s breathtaking choreography, this gleefully insipid musical — inspired by the 2000 flick about rival cheer squads — boasts a zingy original libretto by out Avenue Q book writer Jeff Whitty. The creative team also includes Next to Normal and In the Heights composers, but thank Whitty for La Cienega, the urban school’s matter-of-factly transgender hip-hop crew member played by out actor Gregory Haney.
St. James Theatre, through December 30.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 1 hour 3 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 1 hour 6 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM