Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2012
BY Brandon Voss
December 19 2012 4:14 PM ET
5. Bring It On: The Musical
Boosted by Andy Blankenbuehler’s breathtaking choreography, this gleefully insipid musical — inspired by the 2000 flick about rival cheer squads — boasts a zingy original libretto by out Avenue Q book writer Jeff Whitty. The creative team also includes Next to Normal and In the Heights composers, but thank Whitty for La Cienega, the urban school’s matter-of-factly transgender hip-hop crew member played by out actor Gregory Haney.
St. James Theatre, through December 30.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 min 40 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 7 min 3 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 38 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 3 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 7 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM