Seat Filler: Best NYC Theater of 2012
BY Brandon Voss
December 19 2012 4:14 PM ET
4. The Whale
Young Frankenstein’s Shuler Hensley gave the most transformative, indelible performance of the year as a 600-pound gay man in out playwright Samuel D. Hunter’s immensely moving drama, which couldn’t be sunk by heavy-handed allusions to Moby-Dick and the biblical Jonah. Watching him struggle to tie up loose ends in his last days, we learn that Charlie’s obesity stems from the loss of a conflicted Mormon boyfriend who starved himself to death.
Playwrights Horizons, closed.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 12 min 44 sec ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM