Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2013
BY Brandon Voss
February 05 2013 10:00 AM ET
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
In Rob Ashford's attractive revival of Tennessee Williams's classic family drama, Scarlett Johansson's magnetic Maggie is unlike anything you've seen her do — even if she sometimes comes off like a 40-year-old drag queen. You'll survive three acts and two intermissions for Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson's Benjamin Walker as Maggie's maybe-gay husband Brick, a buff and bitter boozer haunted by the death of his, er, best buddy.
Richard Rodgers Theatre, through March 30.
Roundabout's remarkably enchanting revival of William Inge's sturdy 1953 drama stars Sebastian Stan — who memorably played gay in Political Animals and Kings — as a sexy young drifter who stirs up passion and longing in a small Midwestern town. Look beyond Stan’s glistening torso and find a relevant exploration of physical beauty and a peerless ensemble that includes Ellen Burstyn, Mare Winningham, and Lost’s luminous Maggie Grace.
American Airlines Theatre, through February 24.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’