Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2013
BY Brandon Voss
February 05 2013 10:00 AM ET
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
In Rob Ashford's attractive revival of Tennessee Williams's classic family drama, Scarlett Johansson's magnetic Maggie is unlike anything you've seen her do — even if she sometimes comes off like a 40-year-old drag queen. You'll survive three acts and two intermissions for Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson's Benjamin Walker as Maggie's maybe-gay husband Brick, a buff and bitter boozer haunted by the death of his, er, best buddy.
Richard Rodgers Theatre, through March 30.
Roundabout's remarkably enchanting revival of William Inge's sturdy 1953 drama stars Sebastian Stan — who memorably played gay in Political Animals and Kings — as a sexy young drifter who stirs up passion and longing in a small Midwestern town. Look beyond Stan’s glistening torso and find a relevant exploration of physical beauty and a peerless ensemble that includes Ellen Burstyn, Mare Winningham, and Lost’s luminous Maggie Grace.
American Airlines Theatre, through February 24.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 59 min 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1 hour 28 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM