Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2013
BY Brandon Voss
February 05 2013 9:00 AM ET
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
In Rob Ashford's attractive revival of Tennessee Williams's classic family drama, Scarlett Johansson's magnetic Maggie is unlike anything you've seen her do — even if she sometimes comes off like a 40-year-old drag queen. You'll survive three acts and two intermissions for Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson's Benjamin Walker as Maggie's maybe-gay husband Brick, a buff and bitter boozer haunted by the death of his, er, best buddy.
Richard Rodgers Theatre, through March 30.
Roundabout's remarkably enchanting revival of William Inge's sturdy 1953 drama stars Sebastian Stan — who memorably played gay in Political Animals and Kings — as a sexy young drifter who stirs up passion and longing in a small Midwestern town. Look beyond Stan’s glistening torso and find a relevant exploration of physical beauty and a peerless ensemble that includes Ellen Burstyn, Mare Winningham, and Lost’s luminous Maggie Grace.
American Airlines Theatre, through February 24.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 42 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 47 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 56 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2 hours 31 sec ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 2 hours 1 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 2 hours 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 2 hours 14 min ago