Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2013 7:00 AM ET
Damaged college kids do the darndest things in Paul Downs Colaizzo’s edgy, provocative drama — helmed by out director David Cromer — about friends trying to make sense of a date rape that may not have happened: Is the real victim the manipulative poor trash (Girls’ Zosia Mamet) or the quiet hothead (Friday Night Lights’ Matt Lauria)? Two closeted characters, a hot jock and a Christian go-getter, have their judgment further clouded by sexual repression.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through March 30.
The Old Boy
Keen Company artistic director Jonathan Silverstein admirably dusts off A.R. Gurney’s taut 1991 time capsule about a politician who, when returning to his elite prep school, must face his own role in the downfall of a gay classmate who has recently succumbed to AIDS. Seen in flashbacks with the charismatic Peter Rini as mentor to Chris Dwan’s effeminate, clearly smitten mentee, the complicated relationship between the two boys eclipses the dated, clunky script.
Clurman Theatre, through March 30.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM