Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2013 8:00 AM ET
Reuniting with in-demand director Sam Gold, celebrated young playwright Annie Baker gives voice to three underpaid misfit employees of a run-down Massachusetts movie theater in this long, slow-burning, but ultimately rewarding dark comedy. Louisa Krause is a standout as Rose, a troubled green-haired projectionist thought to be a lesbian until she makes a clumsy pass at Avery (Aaron Clifton Moten), an awkward cinephile who may not like girls either.
Playwrights Horizons, through April 7.
Nurse Jackie’s Edie Falco could make a Chinese takeout menu sound riveting, but she’s been given a much better premise with Liz Flahive’s quirky yet subdued drama. Falco stars as a kindergarten teacher who abandons her job and family so that she can chill in a crappy apartment and dance to Ke$ha songs. Out director Leigh Silverman embraces the subtleties of this frustrating but absorbing story about living your own life, societal pressures be damned.
Manhattan Theatre Club, through May 5.
See last month's theater review column here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 11 min 17 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM