Some Transgender Protesters Leave Occupy Wall Street Over Safety Concerns
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 09 2011 3:25 PM ET
While police and protesters disagree on the severity of the crimes that have occurred, there’s no disputing that some folks are leaving New York’s Occupy Wall Street live-in at Zuccotti Park over safety concerns. The New York Times’ Todd Heisler reports that despite a formidable security team and a plainclothes police presence, assaults at OWS have increased, though protesters blame some of that activity on homeless residents who’ve moved into the area.
To increase the sense of safety for female protesters, Heisler says, the activists have set up a large women’s-only tent on the south side of the park and there are plans to construct a tent for transgender protesters. But according to Nate Barchus, a facilitator of the LGBT contingent at OWS, at least 28 protesters — 12 of them transgender men and women, and the rest nontrans women — have abandoned the park in recent days because they feared for their safety.
Actual crime statistics for Zuccotti Park are not available. Read more at The New York Times.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 28 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 53 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 54 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM