Some Transgender Protesters Leave Occupy Wall Street Over Safety Concerns
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 09 2011 3:25 PM ET
While police and protesters disagree on the severity of the crimes that have occurred, there’s no disputing that some folks are leaving New York’s Occupy Wall Street live-in at Zuccotti Park over safety concerns. The New York Times’ Todd Heisler reports that despite a formidable security team and a plainclothes police presence, assaults at OWS have increased, though protesters blame some of that activity on homeless residents who’ve moved into the area.
To increase the sense of safety for female protesters, Heisler says, the activists have set up a large women’s-only tent on the south side of the park and there are plans to construct a tent for transgender protesters. But according to Nate Barchus, a facilitator of the LGBT contingent at OWS, at least 28 protesters — 12 of them transgender men and women, and the rest nontrans women — have abandoned the park in recent days because they feared for their safety.
Actual crime statistics for Zuccotti Park are not available. Read more at The New York Times.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM