Some Transgender Protesters Leave Occupy Wall Street Over Safety Concerns
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 09 2011 4:25 PM ET
While police and protesters disagree on the severity of the crimes that have occurred, there’s no disputing that some folks are leaving New York’s Occupy Wall Street live-in at Zuccotti Park over safety concerns. The New York Times’ Todd Heisler reports that despite a formidable security team and a plainclothes police presence, assaults at OWS have increased, though protesters blame some of that activity on homeless residents who’ve moved into the area.
To increase the sense of safety for female protesters, Heisler says, the activists have set up a large women’s-only tent on the south side of the park and there are plans to construct a tent for transgender protesters. But according to Nate Barchus, a facilitator of the LGBT contingent at OWS, at least 28 protesters — 12 of them transgender men and women, and the rest nontrans women — have abandoned the park in recent days because they feared for their safety.
Actual crime statistics for Zuccotti Park are not available. Read more at The New York Times.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 5 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 6 min 57 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 18 min 19 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 33 min 32 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 47 min 25 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 50 min 5 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 1 hour 1 min ago