Occupy Wall Street Hosts First Gay Wedding
BY Julie Bolcer
November 21 2011 12:00 PM ET
Protesters returned to Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan Saturday for an afternoon of events that included the first same-sex wedding to take place at Occupy Wall Street.
The New York Daily News reports that activists Jonathan Lopez, 19, and Ivan Cabrera, 18, were married in “an unofficial ceremony" in the park that became synonymous with the global protests against economic inequality. Same-sex marriages have been available in New York since the marriage equality law took effect in July, but Gothamist reports that the wedding was the first such ceremony at the park.
As many as 200 protesters came to Zuccotti Park Saturday for the first time since police raided the area early last Tuesday morning, arrested about 140, and brought the two-month encampment to an end. Tents, tarps, and other sleeping gear are now banned from the location.
Cabrera, who had attended the protest since its start in September, told the Daily News, “They say we have freedom of speech, but we don’t. We’re nonviolent, and we got kicked out and hit. We’re trying to make this cause for the whole world.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 40 min 25 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 51 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 53 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 38 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 45 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM