Occupy Wall Street Hosts First Gay Wedding
BY Julie Bolcer
November 21 2011 11:00 AM ET
Protesters returned to Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan Saturday for an afternoon of events that included the first same-sex wedding to take place at Occupy Wall Street.
The New York Daily News reports that activists Jonathan Lopez, 19, and Ivan Cabrera, 18, were married in “an unofficial ceremony" in the park that became synonymous with the global protests against economic inequality. Same-sex marriages have been available in New York since the marriage equality law took effect in July, but Gothamist reports that the wedding was the first such ceremony at the park.
As many as 200 protesters came to Zuccotti Park Saturday for the first time since police raided the area early last Tuesday morning, arrested about 140, and brought the two-month encampment to an end. Tents, tarps, and other sleeping gear are now banned from the location.
Cabrera, who had attended the protest since its start in September, told the Daily News, “They say we have freedom of speech, but we don’t. We’re nonviolent, and we got kicked out and hit. We’re trying to make this cause for the whole world.”
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 1 hour 50 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 2 hours 51 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM