Mexican Legal Group Urges President to Sign ENDA Stopgap
BY Michelle Garcia
April 06 2012 3:32 PM ET
The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund became the first non-LGBT organization to join a movement urging President Obama to sign an executive order that would require federal contractors to have LGBT-inclusive nondiscrimination policies.
The Chicago Phoenix reports that MALDEF president Thomas Saenz called on President Obama to embrace the "We Can't Wait" initiative.
“In recent years, multiple Congresses have failed to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would ban workplace bias based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity,” Saenz wrote in a letter to Obama. “MALDEF believes the time is now right to promote workplace fairness for LGBT individuals by taking strong executive action.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM