Mexican Legal Group Urges President to Sign ENDA Stopgap
BY Michelle Garcia
April 06 2012 3:32 PM ET
The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund became the first non-LGBT organization to join a movement urging President Obama to sign an executive order that would require federal contractors to have LGBT-inclusive nondiscrimination policies.
The Chicago Phoenix reports that MALDEF president Thomas Saenz called on President Obama to embrace the "We Can't Wait" initiative.
“In recent years, multiple Congresses have failed to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would ban workplace bias based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity,” Saenz wrote in a letter to Obama. “MALDEF believes the time is now right to promote workplace fairness for LGBT individuals by taking strong executive action.”
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Texas AG: Clerks Can Deny Marriage Licenses on Religious Grounds
- The Humble Tweets From a Catholic Priest Spat Upon by Pride Marchers