Companies That Are Bankrolling Right Wing Attack Ads
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 1:54 PM ET
Lost in all the protest over Chick-Fil-A this summer, is the fact that several other major corporations give money to extreme right wing causes. Thankfully Scott Keyes and Adam Peck of ThinkProgress have come up with a list of some of the country’s most common brands whose owners are using their "personal wealth to bankroll outside spending groups that are running attack ads smearing progressives," they write. "From Marriott Hotels to Brawny paper towels, and from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Coachella music festival, corporate executives at these organizations have given millions of dollars to groups like Mitt Romney’s Super PAC Restore Our Future."
Want to find out if you should stop eating at Waffle House or watching movies at Regal Cinemas? Check ThinkProgress' list of consumer brands with leaders who wrote checks to outside right-wing attack ad groups or gave money directly from the corporation of at least $25,000 or more.
Here are a few tidbits from the ThinkProgresss report that may surprise you:
Omni Hotels is a subsidiary of TRT Holdings, a private corporation whose co-founder Robert Rowling has given more than $1,000,000 in total to American Crossroads and Mitt Romney’s Super PAC Restore Our Future.
Angel Soft toilet paper, Dixie cups, and Brawny paper towels are both subsidiaries of Koch Industries, headed by Charles and David Koch who are planning to funnel approximately $400 million to groups like the National Rifle Association, Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform, the National Right to Life Committee, Ralph Reed’s Faith and Freedom Coalition, the 60 Plus Association and the American Future Fund.
New Balance, the shoe company, is headed by Jim Davis who has donated $1,000,000 to Mitt Romney’s Super PAC Restore Our Future.
Gold’s Gym is a subsidiary of TRT Hodlings, a private corporation whose co-founder Robert Rowling has given more than $1,000,000 in total to American Crossroads and Mitt Romney’s Super PAC Restore Our Future.
Read the full report (and all the sources) at ThinkProgress.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 47 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM